February 8, 2011

It's Only Words

There's an old Bee Gees song that has these lyrics: "It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away" Can words have a way to move people, even their hearts? Most certainly! Just take a look at all the songs that people listen to. One must be careful of one's words, even casual remarks. Once it leaves our lips, it cannot be taken back no matter how we offer a thousand apologies and regrets. The Bible tells us to "Let our conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know to answer everyone." (Col. 4:6)

I was reminded recently of how one's words can affect a person's decision in the future. I had once made some remarks on being 'unequally yoked' in our relationships. It was just a casual conversation. Words that I have now virtually forgotten. But more than three years later these words were remembered by someone who had faced an important decision in her life. Wow! God can use our ordinary conversations to affect lives! I wonder how many more such words that I have said that may have affected other lives? Yes, I am fully conscious also of the times when I had said things that I did not really mean to say. Worse still the unconscious ones.

My wish and prayer is that my speech may be full of grace and flavour. Not filled with loose and empty words that will do more damage than good especially for eternity. May this be true in your life too as you celebrate this New Year with your family and friends.

Pr. Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment